How do I come into your care home?

Visit your GP and talk to them. They will refer you for a needs assessment to identify the level of care you need. In Wairarapa the needs assessment is carried out by FOCUS, which is the needs assessment agency for Wairarapa DHB.

Who pays for my care?

The needs assessor from FOCUS will arrange for a means test through Work and Income (WINZ). If you meet the set criteria you may receive partial or full subsidies care. More information can be obtained via the Ministry of Health website – aged residential care.

Wharekaka Village:

Our residents buy into Wharekaka village by means of an Occupation Right Agreement (ORA). This gives them the right to occupy their new villa and to use services and communal areas in the main facility.

All villas are two bedrooms with attached garages.

A weekly fee is payable by villa residents. This is reviewed annually. The monthly fee, paid in advance, is calculated as a proportion of the costs of the village outgoings and includes:

  • Rates
  • Insurance (excluding your own personal contents and belongings insurance)
  • Administration and management of the village
  • Exterior maintenance of the villa
  • Maintenance of lawns, gardens, pathways and all common areas
  • Provision for long term maintenance
  • Window cleaning at least three times per year
  • Social outings and invitations to participate in the daily activities programme.

Additional services:

The following additional services are available to you at an extra cost if required.

  • Provision of meals (either through meals on wheels service or coming into the dining room).

Can my friends and family stay with me?

Visitors are welcome to stay for up to three weeks at a time. If your guests intend on staying longer, you will be required to get consent from the Trust Board.

Am I allowed to have pets?

Consent is required from the Trust Board.

How are my rights protected?

Wharekaka has a Residents’ Advocate whose role is to ensure we always meet our obligations to you. We have an Exemption from providing a Statutory Supervisor.

What happens when I leave my villa?

Wharekaka will market your villa and on resale will pay the amount specified in the Occupation Right Agreement less the Exit Fee and legal fees. The Exit Fee depends on your length of occupancy.

If your villa has not sold within six months of your licence termination Wharekaka will reduce the weekly fee to 50%.

We are happy to provide more information about this and answer any questions you have. Please contact [email protected] for further details.

Using services from the main facility.

The lounge in Wharekaka rest home is yours to use whenever you choose. It is equipped with comfortable seating, large flat screen TV and DVD player. The area is large enough for residents to run meetings, invite guest speakers and enjoy a variety of organised functions.

Activities programme

There will be a busy social calendar for you to enjoy, if you choose.