What is Wharekaka?
Wharekaka Aged Care facility and Villas is situated at 20 Oxford Street Martinborough.
- An aged care facility for up to 21 residents in the home
- 12 independent self-care villas
- Hospital Level, Rest Home, Palliative Care, Health Recovery and Respite for those who need it
- Day activities
- Meals on wheels service (Monday-Friday).
The Rest Home provides 18 rooms with partial en-suites and 3 rooms with full en-suites. There is a large sunny recreational day room, dining room, deck sitting area, outside sun area and gardening facilities.
To enable our Wharekaka community to live fulfilled lives.
Wharekaka provides holistic, comprehensive and dedicated care for our residents while promoting their independence in a warm and friendly home environment.
- Mutual respect and inclusiveness,
- Consistency, fairness and transparency,
- Valuing our partnerships,
- Empathy and support to our residents and staff,
- Integrity, honesty and trust,
- Respect for diversity.
Charitable Trust and its History
The Wharekaka Trust Board Incorporated is a community based charitable trust registered under The Charitable Trusts Act 1957. It is registered as a charity with the Inland Revenue and the Charities Commission (Number CC30989).
The Trust was formed on an informal basis in 1971 to provide respite care for the elderly in Martinborough and the surrounding districts. The premises used were the then recently closed maternity home in Martinborough.
The original name was The Martinborough Geriatric and Health Board, with the change to Wharekaka Trust Board Incorporated taking place in 2008.
In July 2019 a Ministry of Health Accreditation Audit was carried out at the facility to provide hospital level, health recovery and Palliative care. Wharekaka was successful in receiving a three year certificate to provide these levels of care.
- 2 were built in 1991 [Brasell Villas]
- 4 were built in 1996 [Suez Street]
- 4 were built in 2010/2011 [Manguish Villas]
- 2 were built in 2019/2020
They are occupied under an Occupational Rights Agreement.